Brian goes back to Asia

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Mayday

Now, I am officially half way through PST.  I have been to the capital Bishkek a few times now, and neither trip was quite what I expected, UGH, but I do like what little of the city I have seen thus far.  Sundays have now become "sports days" where the trainees get together for soccer and frisbee usually, and reflect on the weeks events, gossip, and whatever else.  My small village is finally starting to rub off on me in some ways.   The kids here are very curious about American culture and typically say "Hi" in English in passing.  One day while seeking respite at the school yard from the heat students from my original needs assessment came up to Madeline, Jordan, and I and asked many questions about our interests, ages, names, etc.  It was fun to converse and take photos and even sign a few autographs.  The excitement is extremely encouraging!  I had my site placement interview, where I honestly explained my desires and needs.  Now it is just  wait and see.  A couple of times I have come away from language class more confused than when it started, so I have tried to get back into running a bit, and the Kangesh language group has invited us to hang out with them on many occasions.  They have been more than helpful.  There I don't have to worry about whether I conjugate a verb correctly or put the right ending on an adjective, or question what tense I am speaking in. One Friday part of the day was spent picking up trash in our local community.  Then on Saturday all volunteers spent the day outside painting, cleaning, raking, playing games, and spending time with the kids.  It was a great day!  Sunday was Easter and I spent it in Bishkek, browsing three of the major bazzars.  To say they were busy would be an understatement.  There are endless turns, and vendors can be quite eclectic.  After a hot and dry day I came home to a table full of yummy food and guests.  Family and friends proceeded afterwards to dancing to loud music.  Wednesday there was a Disco held at the Hub Site/Orphanage.  There were delicious apples and kiwis and of course most of the volunteers let loose on the dance floor.  Hehe.  Recently I had my language progress check and I was quite nervous and I think it definitely showed in my performance.  Saturday was culture day and each language group performed a SKIT.  And there were costumes too, YAY!  There were so many other great  musical and theatrical performances to by kids and other volunteers.  Well time is short and I must go!    

1 comment:

  1. Cheetoh-great to hear an update from you. George and I are just a few weeks ahead of you in service. Our swear in was the first week of April and we have been at our permanent site for almost 3 weeks. All is well in Africa though we have so much to learn. Take everything one day at a time-the good and the bad and know that everyone at home supports you and people in country support you more than you think they do. Good luck learning the language!
    -Anna and Geo

    ReplyDelete